Interesting Dates in Irish Freemasonry
First known Lodge of Speculative Masons was in Dundee.
A Catechism, known as the Trinity Ms, with the papers of Sir Thomas Molyneux in T.C.D.
bears the endorsement: "Free Masonry February, 1711". This is the earliest known Manuscript to recognise three classes
of Mason, each with its own secrets.
June 26th. St. John's Day: More than '100 gentlemen' met in 'the Yellow Lion in Warbrough
Street' and later went to King's Arms, The procession included 'the Masters and Wardens of the Six Lodges of Gentlemen
Freemasons, who are under the jurisdication of the Grand Master and the Private Brothers all in coaches'. A new Grand
Master, Rt Hon. the Earl of Ross was elected. After a meal they went to a play. This is the first mention of the Grand
Lodge of Ireland.
Grand Master's Lodge constituted. This was previously a Committee of the Grand Officers
of Grand Lodge. Members were given all the rights and privileges of Grand Officers.
V.S.L. proclaimed a Gt. L.
Seton appointed Dep. G.Sec. Troublemaker. Rival G.L. set up in 1806. Reconciled in 1808
and at G.M's. request G.M.L. took over the running of Grand Lodge until new arrangements had been made. Ulster seceeded
forming, separate G.L. Lasted until 1814.
Lodge of Instruction formed.
Public processions prohibited by G.L.
Provincial Grand Lodges formed.
Dedication of New Hall in Molesworth Street.
Visit of Queen Victoria to Masonic Girls School.
During the Troubles the Hall in Molesworth Street occupied from 24th April until 1st
Crumlin Road Masonic Hall dedicated on 6th February 1940.